As humans, we go through a massive amount of wastage every day. And as the number of us (humans) keeps increasing, so does the total mass of garbage piling up in landfills all around the world. Sadly, most of the garbage that accumulates today is the kind that does not easily degrade.
For instance, things like plastic bottles and baby diapers can take up to 450 years to decompose, while a glass bottle takes about a million years! That’s crazy to think about!
But apart from the impact on that our trash brings upon mother earth, it is also extremely expensive. Although these things that we throw away seem “cheap” or “worthless”, they can come in handy in many ways that you didn’t know of. By knowing the right way to put them to use, you can save yourself a lot of money over time, and although its impossible to eliminate waste – you can at least reduce it.
Here are 35+ surprising uses for everyday “garbage” that you didn’t know about!
1. Eggshells are great garden fertilizers as they are rich minerals and calcium. Just crush them up and scatter them in the soil every two weeks.
2. Crushed up eggshells are also great for keeping critters like snails, slugs, and worms from damaging your flowers.
3. Make a skin-tightening face mask by crushing up dried eggshells and whisking them with some egg whites.
2. Banana Skin
4. Rub the inside of a banana skin to soothe the itching from mosquito and other bug bites.
5. Banana is a rich source of magnesium, manganese, and potassium. This is why rubbing the inside of a banana peel on your teeth is known to help whiten teeth.
6. The peel of a banana can also be a great alternative for shoe polish. Just make sure to wipe with a clean cloth afterward.
3. Cereal Boxes & Other Disposable Cardboard
7. Make drawer or desk organizers by cutting them up into the appropriate sizes. You can also cover them in decorative paper to make them look oh-so-pretty!
8. They can come in handy when it comes to wrapping presents, because you can make gift bags, boxes, toppers, tags, and more from them!
9. Prevent the growth of weeds by placing water-soaked cardboard underneath the soil.