DIY Hair Masks For Healthy, Soft, Silky, & Smooth Hair That You Can Do at Home
Hair care is an essential part of your beauty routine, because it’s just as important to take good care of your hair as it is your skin. It is also important to always use organic chemical-free products whenever possible. But, good quality hair care products can put a real dent in your budget, especially when it comes to natural products.
But fret not, there are plenty of great hair masks that you can do at home. And they require just a few low-cost ingredients that you probably already have lying around in your kitchen.
Here are 5 DIY hair masks for healthy, soft, silky, & smooth hair that you can do at home:
1. Oatmeal Nourishing Hair Mask
Oats aren’t just a great addition to your breakfast, but also to your hair care routine! Oats contain plenty of nourishing vitamins and protein that lend themselves to rejuvenating your hair, and making it feel soft and silky. It helps repair damaged hair, thanks to the protein in it, and keeps it moisturized (bye, bye, frizzy hair).
- 1/4 cup oats powder
- 4 tablespoons olive oil or almond oil
- 1/4 cup cold milk
- Combine all the ingredients and mix until everything is smooth.
- Wet your hair (and squeeze out excess water), before applying the mask to it generously. Leave on for 25-30 minutes and rinse with cold water as well as a mild conditioner. Repeat 2-3 times a week for best results.
2. Avocado Mask
Avocados have been extremely on trend during recent times, but you don’t have to stop with putting them on your toast. Avocados are full of nutrients that are also great when applied to your hair. They are especially helpful during those blazing summer months, as our mane tends to dry out and become dull and frizzy. This avocado mask will provide your with the hydration your locks need!
- 1 avocado
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon almond oil or olive oil
- Scoop the flesh of one avocado and mash it up until it is smooth.
- Add the milk and oil and combine well.
- Apply on hair, leave on for about 20 minutes. Shower as usual with shampoo.
3. Banana, Egg & Honey Mask
Banana and honey are magical ingredients that provide a lot of benefits to many homemade hair masks, but eggs are the star player here. It might sound gross to put egg on your hair, but the results are well worth it! It will help make your hair softer, shinier, and thicker.
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 whole egg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Mash the banana, add the other ingredients and mix well until everything is combined.
- Apply the mask all over you hair and scalp and massage for a good 5 minutes. Leave on for about an hour and shower with shampoo and conditioner. Use on a weekly basis for best results.
- Use the ripest banana you can find. It doesn’t matter if it has black spots; in fact, those are better!
- 1 lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1-2 teaspoon water (if needed)
- 2-3 drops of rosemary (or other) essential oil
- Combine the lemon juice and honey until well combined.
- Add the olive oil and do the same.
- Add water (if using), and combine.
- Finally, add in your essential oil and mix well.
- Apply mask all over the hair, including the scalp, making sure to massage it in well. Leave on for 20-30 minutes, rinse out with warm water, and shampoo as usual.
- Water is optional in this recipe, but it helps in the spreading of it. Of course, this will dilute the mixture and you’ll need to use more of it.
- This mixture can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- 2 tablespoons bhringraj powder
- 2 tablespoons fenugreek powder
- 3 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1 small cup lukewarm water
- Soak bhringraj and fenugreek powder in lukewarm water for approximately 15 minutes.
- Add the coconut oil and combine well.
- Apply all over hair and scalp and leave on for 20 minutes. Shower as usual, but make sure to use a herbal shampoo for ideal results.
4. Lemon & Honey Mask
Lemon is a great natural ingredient that helps your hair look and feel great by removing all its impurities and giving it a great shine. It also helps get rid of dandruff, itchy scalp, and dry hair.
5. Herbal Hair Mask
The ingredients of this hair mask might not be extremely familiar to you, but there’s nothing a short online search won’t make available to you. But, trust us, this hair mask is worth the extra effort, because the all-natural ayurvedic components help nourish your hair from the root to the tips. It helps with hair loss, premature graying, and gives it an overall softness and shine as well!