9 Dishes To Use Up Leftover Roast Chicken
We’ve all been there; it’s Sunday night roast dinner and you have friends and family over. You’re worried about whether there’s enough food for everyone, but surprise (not really), there’s so much left over!
Instead of trying to shove leftover chicken into Tupperware boxes and force them into unwilling guests, save it for yourself and you can make a quick weekday lunch or dinner using them. Saves you time and money, score! There’s also so many things you can do with other leftovers like rice, mashed potatoes, etc.,etc., but those are for another post.
For now, let’s look at how you can use up leftover chicken:
1. Make Sandwiches & Wraps
The possibilities here are just endless. You could mix it up for each day of the week with different salads, sauces, and accompaniments; all using the same leftover chicken!
Roast Chicken Sandwich
- leftover roast chicken, shredded
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp natural yoghurt
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ¼-½ tsp smoked paprika
- salt and pepper
- 6-8 x baby plum tomatoes, sliced
- ½ x cucumber, halved, deseeded and sliced
- rocket leaves
- a good rustic loaf
- In a bowl, combine the mayonnaise, yoghurt, lemon juice, paprika, salt, pepper, and chicken. Mix well.
- Divide the mixture into four sandwiches, top with rocket, tomato, and cucumber. Slice and serve!
2. Make Salad
Salad is a great way to eat light and healthy, but they can sometimes be a little boring. But with the right sauces and the right mix of fresh veges, nuts, and sometimes even fruit, it can be amazing. Add roast chicken to it and it’s unbeatable!
Vietnamese-Style Shredded Chicken Salad
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp rice wine or white wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2-3 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil (or 2 tsp sesame oil)
- 2 birdseye chillies, de-seeded and chopped finely
- 3 garlic cloves, very finely chopped
- 1 shallot, very finely sliced
- leftover roast chicken
- shredded vegetables, including cabbage, carrots and cucumber
- 2 tbsp chopped mint and coriander
- Mix together the sugar, rice wine vinegar, lime juice, fish sauce and vegetable oil until the sugar dissolves. Add the chilli and garlic.
- Combine the onion, chicken and shredded vegetables together with the chopped herbs. Drizzle over the dressing and toss lightly. Enjoy!